Saturday, November 20, 2004

Sudan.


*Thanks to Tiff for the link.

These are Pulitzer Prize winning photos taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine. The first photo depicts a famine stricken child crawling towards a United Nations food camp, located one kilometer away. The vulture is waiting for the child to die so it can eat him.

This picture shocked the whole world. No one knows what became of the child, including the photographer Kevin Carter, who left the place as soon as the photograph was taken. Three months later he committed suicide due to depression.

Man. I saw those pics in my inbox this morning and it's not a visual you just leave on the monitor, really. I just hope that in my own way I get to help out somehow...

Anyway, I don't want this entry to be depressing, so let me just end with one of my favorite artists, and her response to the need that is all around us. She actually DID something, and I admire her for it. Watch
THIS, it's got to be a sermon in and of itself.

2 comments:

kookaii said...

i dont like seeing pix like these..

nikkerbockers said...

Yeah, sad but real.